Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies are a classic, but cut-out sugar cookies shaped like hearts and decoratedwith royal icing inyour favorite sayings are memorable and delicious!
Prep Time: 20-minutes
Cook Time: 12-minutes
Total Time: 32-minutes
Servings: 20 cookies
Ingredients for the cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
Ingredients for the icing
16 ounces powdered sugar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon meringue powder
Instructions for the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Using a whisk, stir to combine and get the lumps out. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add butter and beat with an electric mixer on medium for 1-minute. Turn to low and gradually add sugar. Turn to medium and beat 3-minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat another minute. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture.
- Blend until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Place dough on a large piece of parchment paper. Use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes. Divide the dough into two sections and wrap with parchment paper. Let chill in the refrigerator for about 30-minutes.
- To roll dough, place another piece of parchment paper on top of dough and roll with a rolling pin until the dough is between ⅛” and ¼” thick. Cut into 3″ hearts and remove the excess dough. Place hearts on an Hestan OvenBond Quarter Sheet Pan. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges. Let them cool and decorate with royal icing.
Instructions for the icing
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low for 6-minutes. It will be very thick and fluffy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix to combine. Take half the icing and put in another bowl. Add another tablespoon of water to remaining icing.
- Divide and color as desired to decorate the cookies.