You may know that my grandma Mary Lou was a big influence in my life if you’re aware of the 42nd Street Design furniture piece we created after her. But did you know that she also had a penchant for etiquette? She is the reason why I find it so important to continue to hand write letters, especially thank you notes and birthday cards.
Often people tell me they don’t know what to say in a hand-written thank you note. Here are the thoughts I have when I go to my desk to connect with a friend or a family member in an authentic way:
- Start with an upbeat greeting. Make sure you’re using the correct form and spelling of the person’s name, as well as anyone else’s mentioned in the note.
- Express your thanks. Begin with the two most important words: Thank you.
- Thank you so much for…
- It made my day when I opened…
- I’m so grateful you were there when…
- Add specific details. Tell them how you plan to use or display their gift. It shows them that you really appreciate the thought that went into it. Even if it’s cold hard cash, describe how you’ll spend the stuff.
- Here’s a picture of me with my new pocketbook. I look so chic!
- I can’t wait to use the birthday money you sent to decorate my new home.
- The going-away party meant so much to me. Having all my friends and family in one place was something I’ll never forget.
- Look ahead. Mention the next time you might see them, or just let them know you’re thinking of them.
- We look forward to seeing you next month at Jill’s party.
- Restate your thanks. Add details to thank them in a different way.
- Again, thank you for your generosity. I’m so excited about my move. I’ll let you know all about it when I get settled.
- We felt so blessed that you made the trip to be with us on our wedding day. We can’t wait to see you again soon!
- End with your regards. “Sincerely” is a safe sign-off, but for closer relationships, you might choose a warmer option.
- With love,
- Many thanks,
Recently, I was honored to join my friends at Dempsey & Carroll as a “Brand Friend”. Founded in 1878, Dempsey & Carroll has long been considered the finest purveyor of elegant engraved social stationery. To me, they set the standard for social etiquette while providing the highest quality stationery available. As a Dempsey & Carroll Brand Friend, it excites me to get my hands on a new stationery collection, gift tag or calling card. Whether it is bespoke, destination related, artful or jet-set themed, Dempsey & Carroll has it and you can too. Use my 10% off code—just type in KERRIE at checkout and follow the new products I share on Instagram and on the blog. In the meantime, you can get to writing that thank-you note you have been thinking about!