Indulge in the rich flavors of this Roasted Sweet Potato and Onion Tart, a delightful dish that marries the sweetness of caramelized onions and roasted sweet potatoes with the flaky goodness of a homemade tart crust. Perfect for gatherings or as a comforting weeknight dinner, this recipe combines French-inspired cuisine with hearty ingredients.
Cuisine: French Inspired
Prep Time: 120-minutes
Cook Time: 1-hour
Total Time: 1-hour 20-minutes
Yield: One 9-inch tart (6-8 servings)
- 2 refrigerated pre-made pie crust or make your own
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cobram Estate Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Roast the Sweet Potatoes:
- Toss the sweet potato slices with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and arrange them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Caramelize the Onions:
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Season with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme leaves.
- Assemble the Tart:
- Roll out the chilled tart dough on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch tart pan. Gently press the dough into the pan, trimming any excess from the edges.
- Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the tart crust.
- Arrange the roasted sweet potato slices over the onions. If using, sprinkle the grated Gruyère cheese on top.
- Bake the Tart:
- Place the assembled tart on a Hestan OvenBond Half Baking Sheet to catch any drips. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow the tart to cool slightly before slicing and serving. This Roasted Sweet Potato and Onion Tart can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.