With summer quickly approaching, grilling will be the only way to cook. While salmon, carnitas, steaks, and veggies are great go-tos, consider an Italian-American favorite that may not be top of mind when firing up your grill … pizza. Check out these simple homemade pizza steps to create fun and food for the whole family.
1. Fire it up: Turn your grill to medium-high before you start prepping so it has plenty of time to get hot.
2. Prep your ingredients: Measure out the sauce. Get vegetables ready. Shred and crumble cheese. Put the toppings on a large baking sheet or cutting board and add a small bottle of oil, a paper towel and tongs to the oil the grill rack. Roll and stretch 1-pound whole wheat pizza dough into a 12-inch long oval and transfer to floured baking sheet. This part is easier if you let the dough stand at room temperature for 30-minutes. If it is starts fighting you, let it rest for 10-minutes before tackling again.
3. Start grilling on your Coyote Outdoor Living grill: Holding the paper towel with the tongs, dip it in oil and rub it on the grill. This prevents the dough from sticking. Close the lid and cook until it’s puffed and browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Top it: Use the tongs to flip the crust. Cover with sauce and vegetables and sprinkle with cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Transfer it: Move your pizza to clean cutting board. Sprinkle garnish on top, slice, serve and enjoy.
My favorite sauce is pesto or crushed red tomatoes. Vegetable ideas include broccoli, sliced summer squash, onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini and artichoke hearts. I love a fresh layer of shredded mozzarella to bring all the flavors together. Garnish with chopped herbs, scallions or ribbons of cured meat to add just the right amount of saltiness.