While I have been honored to serve as a Director at Large to the ASID Board and Society over the past two years, I am excited to celebrate my nomination as Chair with the announcement and voting of the ballot this month. So if you are a member, get out and vote!
VOTE —> https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4937440/2020-ASID-Board-of-Directors-Vote-Now
The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) Board of Directors is the authority for the governance of the Society. The Board’s objective is to advise, govern, oversee and set policy, assisting in the leadership of ASID and acting as a representation of the overall membership. The Board delegates to the Society’s CEO the management of operations and resources.
My fingers are crossed for a successful term as Chair-Elect beginning October 2019 with the Chair of the Board position to follow in October 2020. I look forward to ringing in my 30th year as a member of ASID by carrying out important initiatives and addressing the challenges of our ever-evolving industry.
Check out some of our Board Responsibilities below.
- Establish the Society’s mission and purpose, periodically re-assessing to ensure that the organization is adhering to its stated mission and purpose and making modifications as needed and when deemed appropriate.
- Execute the Society’s strategic planning process, setting the strategic direction and tracking progress based on pre-determined metrics with the support and participation of the Society’s executive team.
- Provide strategic oversight to Society programs with ongoing executive team collaboration to ensure alignment with the Society’s strategic plan and achievement of agreed upon goals and objectives.
- Ensure that the Society uses effective financial strategies, including reliable and diverse revenue sources.
- Ensure protection of the Society’s assets and provide financial oversight: Review and approve the Society’s annual budget.
- Ensure adherence to all financial policies, both short- and long-term.
- Ensure annual audits are conducted.
- Require transparency in financial practices.
- Delegate day-to-day oversight to appropriate staff and Board-designated committees.
- Build an effective and competent Board by adopting policy that ensures candidates meet competencies and qualified members are nominated for election.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity of the Society, its policies, practices, and operations, ensuring compliance, transparency, and accountability.
- Enhance the Society’s public image and standing, serving as ambassadors and advocates for the Society.
- When appropriate, select and terminate the Society’s executive officer.
- Support the CEO’s leadership and evaluate his or her performance annually against an agreed upon set of goals and objectives.
- Monitor the chapters of the Society to ensure they remain compliant with the Society’s strategic direction and programs, also ensuring they are operating with the proper resources and legal and ethical integrity:
- Delegate day-to-day oversight to appropriate staff and board designated committees.
- Know and be able to articulate the Society’s purpose, goals, strategic focus, policies and needs.
- Serve the Society and the interior design profession as a whole.
- Attend and participate in Board meetings, conference calls and special events as needed.
- Participate in standing and/or ad-hoc Board committees and task forces as requested by the president.
- Exhibit leadership and professional engagement in the design community.
- Be effective in all Board discussions and deliberations by being prepared and familiar with advanced required reading materials.
- Recognize and nominate potential leaders for the Society.
- Support the Society’s bylaws, policies, and position statements.
- Hold information and data confidential until the Board provides consent.
Thank you for your ongoing support. It is truly an honor to serve.