Breakfast gatherings just got less hectic – with this recipe, all the prep work is done the night before! The leek and sausage amounts can even be varied to suit the tastes of those who will be eating this dish.
Prep Time: 20-minutes
Cook Time: 45-minutes, plus
Total Time: 1-day, 1-hour, 20-minutes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups leeks, cut in rings, rinsed thoroughly
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound ground sage pork sausage
1/2 loaf French baguette
1 cup grated Cheddar
1 cup pepper jack cheese
6 each large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a Hestan NanoBond 11” Skillet on medium-high. Sauté the leeks with a pinch of salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. When the leeks are translucent raise the heat to high and add the sausage in, cooking for 8-minutes or until browned. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs together with the cream, milk, the remaining cayenne, a pinch of black pepper and salt.
- Cut the baguette into cubes and put in the bottom of a Hestan OvenBond Square Baker. Sprinkle the bread with the Cheddar cheese. Pour the sausage and leek mixture and egg mixture on top. Top with pepper jack cheese. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- The next morning remove from refrigerator. Put in the middle of the oven and bake for 45-minutes or until a knife is removed cleanly from the middle. Remove from oven and allow the casserole to stand for 10-minutes before cutting and serving.