Meaty Portobello mushrooms have just the right amount of savory flavor and the perfect earthy texture to pair with red wine and seamlessly replace beef in these delicious vegetarian French dip sandwiches.
Prep Time: 10-minutes
Cook Time: 23-minutes
Total Time: 33-minutes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 large portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 ½ cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup dry sherry
4 small hoagie rolls, halved lengthwise
1 cup shredded Havarti or white cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in Hestan NanoBond 11” Skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 4-minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-minute. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add 1-tablespoon oil to the pan. Add portobellos and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5-minutes. Transfer to the bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and shiitake mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5-minutes. Return the portobellos and onion to the Hestan NanoBond 11” Skillet. Stir in mustard and thyme; cook for 1-minute. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer for 5-minutes.
- Position a rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- Scoop out most of the inside of the rolls. Place the rolls cut-side up on a baking sheet. Using a slotted spoon, divide the mushroom mixture among the bottom halves of the rolls and reserve the sauce. Top with cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Place the top halves of the rolls on the sandwiches and serve with the remaining sauce.
- Pour yourself some Hestan Stephanie Malbec and enjoy!